Customer satisfaction is a driving force that impacts the financial outlook of individual firms and the health of the U.S. economy at large. New results from the American Customer Satisfaction Index (ACSI®) provide customer satisfaction benchmarks for three manufacturing/durable goods industries: personal computers, major household appliances, and televisions. In addition, the ACSI captures consumer opinions about critical elements of the customer experience, tailored specifically to individual industries.
The ACSI Household Appliance and Electronics Study 2022-2023 is based on interviews with 14,069 customers, chosen at random and contacted via email between July 2022 and June 2023. Customers are asked to evaluate their experiences with recently purchased products of the largest manufacturers in terms of market share, plus an aggregate category consisting of “all other”—and thus smaller—companies in these industries.
- Apple continues to lead across much of the PC user experience but gets caught in a tie with Samsung for the top ACSI score (83).
- Personal computer customer satisfaction among major companies has widened to a 5-point margin between high and low scores in 2023.
- Satisfaction is highest among users of desktop computers (84), followed by laptops (80) and tablets (76).
- Household appliances enjoy nearly industrywide customer satisfaction gains as Haier and Whirlpool move up 4% to share the top ranking with LG (up 1%).
- Newer models with enhanced technology help the appliance industry improve its customer rating for energy and water efficiency by 9% compared to a year ago.
- With two years of ACSI gains under its belt, appliance maker Whirlpool earns top accolades for durability and product quality.
- LG climbs to the top as the number-one television brand for customer satisfaction in 2023.
- Across the TV industry, the ACSI gap has narrowed to just 3 points but higher-end, more established companies still garner the most loyalty.
- As with satisfaction, the quality gap among TV manufacturers tightens this year, with brands like Hisense and TCL striking a good balance between quality and affordability.
Download study in PDF format by visiting the ACSI website.
ACSI and its logo are registered trademarks of the American Customer Satisfaction Index LLC.