Customer satisfaction is a driving force that impacts the financial outlook of individual firms and the health of the U.S. economy at large. New results from the American Customer Satisfaction Index (ACSI®) encompass customer satisfaction benchmarks for three insurance industries: health, life, and property and casualty. In addition to measuring satisfaction, the ACSI captures consumer opinions about critical elements of the customer experience, tailored specifically to each insurance industry. The study also provides patient satisfaction benchmarks for the Health Care sector, including hospitals and nonhospital care.
The ACSI Insurance and Health Care Study 2022-2023 is based on interviews with 12,849 customers, chosen at random and contacted via email between October 2022 and September 2023. Customers are asked to evaluate their recent experiences with products and services provided by the largest firms in terms of market share, plus an aggregate category consisting of “all other”—and thus smaller—companies in each industry. For health care, results are aggregated at the industry level. ACSI scores are reported on a scale of 0 to 100.
PROPERTY AND CASUALTY INSURANCE
- USAA, which provides insurance to military-affiliated individuals and families, sets the performance bar high at 83—the best ACSI score across all insurance industries.
- Using mobile apps shows mixed results for the P&C industry: policyholder satisfaction is higher for those using apps, but the process is fraught with more complaints as well.
- After three years of stability, the life insurance industry boosts satisfaction 3% to 80, with AIG gaining the upper hand by surging 4% to 82.
- According to policyholders, all aspects of their experience have improved, including mobile apps, which receive top marks for quality at 85.
- Health insurance satisfaction surges 4% to a record-high score of 76, with customer engagement points including call centers and websites improving 5% year over year.
- Health insurers experience widespread policyholder satisfaction gains, with all but one provider upping their ACSI scores including industry leader Humana (+6% to 82).
- Driven by a 5% rise in outpatient satisfaction, hospitals reach their highest ACSI score (74) since 2018.
- Satisfaction with nonhospital care jumps 11% to 81 as patients find the post-pandemic medical office experience far better than the previous two years.
Download study in PDF format by visiting the ACSI website.
ACSI and its logo are registered trademarks of the American Customer Satisfaction Index LLC.